ADHD is a conventionally a “disorder” in that it is an imbalance of the mind and comes with it’s own set of challenges and impairments. It should be approached, like any other animal, with respect for the harm it can inflict. But I think it’s naive to call it a weakness. The very challenges it brings spark creativity and motivation to take action in a special way.
It’s likely that if there were no ADHD, there would be little to no:
- Midnight doughnut/taco/ice cream runs
- Creative and wildly imaginative stories and screenplays
- Unorthodox yet excellent solutions to engineering problems
- Stand-ups against corruption in the established order
- Awkward yet awesome toys
- No persistent adventurers
- No Gandalfs; or Tolkiens; or fantasy writers; or fiction
- Jokes to relieve everyone in overwhelmingly sad circumstances
- Art for art’s sake
- Willingness to break away when everyone else is stuck and…
- Willingness to stay on task when everyone else wants to quit
I’m really thankful for those in my life who wrangle the ADHD bulls within themselves.