n. an abstract but primal place. A place where you can be as human as humanly possible and feel no shame, because even shame is on par with pride, justice, and glory.
- : a place where you can lean against your enemy almost as equally as your friend and you have nothing to prove.
- : a place where one can talk about holiness and earthiness in the same sentence.
- a : it is difficult to tell if such places are created only by great effort, or rather by merely forgetting that one ever left them.
- b : a place that a good church tries to replicate, but rarely achieves.
- : a place where the only way to offend everyone is by being pretentious. But even then, everyone just shakes their head with pursed lips and then pats said pretentious one on the back and moves on, because they are too busy seeking reality.
- : a place where one’s age is meaningless. Where one is a child and a burdened adult and in the twilight at the same time.
- : a state in which one understands Bob Dylan songs, and/or feels like they are living in a permanent Bob Dylan song.
- : a place where children thrive and move and have their being, and elderly smile like no one is watching.
- : a space in which one can be honest, not afraid of the consequences.
- : a place where one can lift up their head high and not feel above anyone else.
- : a space where one can meet God, herself, himself, or their great love–with equal intensity.
- : an atmosphere where it’s almost impossible to tell if one is laughing or crying. Or doing both simultaneously. But you have to let them do it. They need it.
- : places where a friend, even for only a few minutes, is a friend for a lifetime.
- : a place saturated with that feeling, when one has been drinking, that comes after trying to be the life of the party and trying to run away from the party; when you’re right in the zone of total vulnerability and surrender but have not lost any of your faculties.
- a place where your political affiliations mean about as much as your hair color.
Seek these places once in a while. Create them when needed.